The Real City Tour
People who visit South Africa often find it is hard to believe that they are in Africa because of the western surroundings they find themselves in; but the divisions of the past still linger on and Calabash Tours seeks to remedy that by bridging the gap. Calabash Tours' specialist guides will take you on an unforgettable city tour unveiling the complex history of Port Elizabeth and letting you see the city through different eyes when you meet the 'real' people of this friendly city.
In no particular order clients will experience the below attractions on the Real City Tour:
- Original 19th Century English Settler homes
- The main shopping thoroughfare where street traders sell their wares
- The building where Steve Biko was interrogated before his fateful journey to death
- Kwazakhele, Zwide and New Brighton townships to experience a slice of African life
- Red Location, the oldest township in South Africa
- A community-run school for children in the township. By taking the Real City Tour
- you directly help fund this school
- Encounter the legendary African hospitality when we stop for a township-style tea in one of the community run projects we support
- Meet talented township artists at work in Ramaphosa Village, an informal settlement, where wonderful works ranging from paintings, to lino prints, pottery and woven wall hangings are on display.
Clients are encouraged to bring the following:
- Warm top (in case of bad weather).
- Township tea, coffee or juice with rooster cake (traditionally South African) is included in the tour cost.
- A minimum of 2 clients are required for the tour to commence.