3 Day Eastern Cape nature & cultural experience
This 3-day Eastern Cape nature and cultural experience tour gives guests an opportunity to experience the natural aspect of the Eastern Cape by enjoying a drive through the Addo National Park on the first day and spending the night in the Great Fish River Nature reserve, where guests enjoy a fantastic bush getaway.
After enjoying the bush the guests travel into the mountains of the Eastern Cape to a small village named Cata Village. Located in the Amathole Mountains, an eye- opening experience awaits guests. Guests have the choice to spend the night with a family in the village or in a chalet, which sleeps eight people overlooking the whole village. Guests will enjoy an interpretive talk on the history of the area and how Apartheid affected these people in rural South Africa. Guests will also see how local communities have moved on and are living their daily lives in today's time. A local village guide takes guests on an informative walk interpreting the land and how the people use to live before they got moved by the old Apartheid government. Then the guests can enjoy a short walk through the village interacting with the residents and meeting a few interesting people with their local village guide.
A short walk through an indigenous forest with a bird guide will offer another dimension to this tour; whether you are an experienced birder or just a beginner, this walk is exciting and interesting.
- Depart at Port Elizabeth and enjoy a drive through the Addo National Park
- Picnic lunch in the Addo National Park
- Depart the Park and enjoy a short drive through Grahamstown before heading to the Great Fish River Reserve for the first night
- Traditional South African "Braai" for dinner
- The tour has a short bush walk in the morning before breakfast
- An English breakfast is served with cereals, yogurt and teas & coffees
- The tour departs for the Amathole Mountains to stay in the Cata Village
- On arrival the group enjoys an informative talk through the small Cata museum and then the short heritage trail with the local guide interpreting how the village has changed through the times
- After the short walk, the group drives up to the top of the village and then the group enjoys the short village walk with a local village guide. The groups interact with the villages and meet some interesting people
- Dinner is prepared by the local ladies who will prepare some traditional Xhosa food
- The group enjoys an early breakfast before departing a guided walk through the indigenous forest to spot some of the indigenous a migratory bird species found in this area. A beautiful walk!
- A light lunch is prepared for after the walk
- The tour departs for East London or Port Elizabeth
Lyon Tours & Safaris recommends guests to take the following items:
- Warm clothing for winter and nights
- Light weight clothing for summer days
- Sunscreen, Hats, Walking shoes, sandals
- Camera, Binoculars
- Any additional items guests may feel they may require
- This tour is recommended for anyone interested in nature and the cultural heritage of the Eastern Cape
- Average fitness will be fine for this tour
- Walking shoes are recommended
The following conditions apply to this tour:
- A minimum of 2 people are required for this tour to be conducted.
Book for more than 20 people, contact us directly
Guests will be collected in Port Elizabeth at their accommodation where they are staying. The tour departs at Port Elizabeth at 8:30.